There are basically two dominating technologies in juicing – Masticating and Centrifugal juicer. Most of the juicers can be categories in these two categories. If you understand how these two technologies work then it will be much easier for you to decide which juicer to buy based on your needs. Here I am going to compare the two juicers “Masticating vs Centrifugal juicer” and explain how they work and what are the pros and cons of these two types of juicers.
Breville Centrifugal juicer is an excellent Juicer available in market. It has a feed tube in the top from where fruits and vegetables can go down the hole. There is a basket in the bottom with blades inside. The blades spin at very high speed from 6500 rpm to 13000 rpm and juice goes straight out in the basket. When the basket is filled with pulp, juicer with centrifugal force pulls the juice from the pulp and through the mesh chamber throws the juice over to another container and roughage goes in another container.
Benefits of Centrifugal juicer:
- Easier to clean
- Easier to assemble and disassemble
- Good for juicing tougher food like carrots and beets
- Rotation speed can be adjusted.
Omega J8006 is an excellent masticating juicer available. I personally use this juicer and it works like a charm :). This juicer forces the produce through a small area to mash using a hard metal blade with rough edges called Auger.
Auger does not have sharp blades but have rough blades. It masticates or chews the food. Auger rotates at very slow speed at about 80 – 100 rpm with very high torque and using a strong motor.
The main benefit of Masticating Juicer is that it can juice literally any kind of fruits and Vegetables with really good nutrients value and fibers.
Comparison between Centrifugal and Masticating Juicers:
- Centrifugal juicer uses fast spinning grinding blades to juice whereas Masticating juicer crushes and squeezes the fruits and vegetables to juice.
- Centrifugal juicer will juice faster than Masticating juicer but Masticating juicer has more juice potential. Masticating makes more quality juice with more juice and less foam.
- Centrifugal juicer is good for fruits and hard vegetables like carrots and is not very good for green leafy vegetables. Masticating juicer is good for fruits and all kinds of vegetables including green leafy. It is even good for juicing Wheat-grass.
- Centrifugal juicer spins the fruits and vegetables to juice which oxidizes the juice little bit. That means the liquid comes in contact with air for more time which can break down the nutrients. Whereas Masticating juicer juices by crushing the food slowly. There is not much chance for oxidizing and thus manages to have more nutrients.
- Juice from centrifugal juicer needs to be consumed immediately or within few hours because of the oxidation whereas juice from Masticating juicer can be stored for 2-3 days.
In conclusion, both juicers have some pros and cons. Juice from both juicers is very good for you and full of nutrients your body needs and is much better than that available in any grocery store. It really depends on your needs and commitment which juicer you need to buy. I would recommend buying Masticating Juicer as you can juice green leafy vegetables in this which are difficult to consume otherwise.